Organization: FHI 360
Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Closing date: 09 Sep 2019
FHI 360’s Crisis Response Department is seeking a WASH Coordinator to lead the WASH component of FHI 360’s Ebola response efforts in North Kivu and Ituri provinces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The WASH Coordinator is responsible for developing and leading technical programming and plays a critical role in ensuring the organization’s emergency programming is responsive to the needs of Ebola-affected populations in DRC. He/she will ensure humanitarian activities are evidence-based and adhere to technical standards for the field, and as circumstances demand, engage at all stages of an emergency, from the initial acute phase through to transition and recovery, and will support technical programs from assessment and conception through close-out and evaluation.
Based in Butembo, this duty station has been designated as high risk or extreme risk and poses a heightened risk or direct threat to personal safety. Applicants should research this location and the associated risks before submitting an application.
- Lead the WASH component of the Ebola response program, with the goal of improving the well-being of affected communities through access to safe and adequate water and improved hygiene practices.
- Conduct sector assessments, provide technical guidance on appropriate emergency activities, and devise sector-specific response strategies for the acute and transitional phases of emergency operations in crisis-affected communities
- Provide technical guidance on appropriate emergency activities, and devise sector-specific response strategies for the acute and transitional phases of emergency operations
- Assess municipal/rural infrastructure and service-provider capabilities, identify support needs, service gaps, and opportunities for partnership
- Assist with resource mobilization by designing, drafting, and reviewing concept notes and technical proposals for emergency operations and related programming, as required
- Develop partnerships and ensure effective coordination with local service providers and international organizations operating in the sector and attend regional cluster meetings
- Work with operations staff and partners to ensure commodities and services are procured, handled, and managed properly, in accordance with the organization’s supply-chain management protocols
- Manage emergency program budgets, as assigned, including routine expense forecasting and pipeline analysis
- Determine staffing needs for emergency programming, conduct recruitment in collaboration with management and home office technical staff, as necessary
- Manage field personnel supporting emergency WASH programming
- During startup and launch phase, management and technical oversight of program teams
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience coordinating complex programs with a wide variety of stakeholders; experience as WASH cluster co-lead preferred
- Knowledge and application of Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS), Sphere standards for WASH
- Ability to deploy to the field to austere and/or insecure locations with minimal infrastructure or amenities
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English. French and/or K-Swahili fluency highly preferred.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of complex scope that require analysis and in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Networks with key internal and external personnel.
- Decision may cause delays or failure to achieve results that impact departmental goals.
- Determines methods and procedures on new projects and assignments.
- Serves as team lead and supervises other lower level WASH personnel.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual WASH budget.
- Maintains and reviews WASH budget reports, identifies variances and takes corrective action as necessary.
- Reports to the Ebola Response Coordinator or Deputy Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Environment, Civil or water resources or mechanical Engineering, Geology, Public Health, Human Development, Social Sciences or Related Field.
- Master or other advanced degree preferred.
- 5-8 years of experience leading complex on-site emergency response WASH projects and/or programs
- Significant background in managing humanitarian response initiatives, as well as community-based emergencies.
- Knowledge and application of US Agency for International Development (USAID)/Office of US Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) proposal and application guidelines essential and US Department of State Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (State/PRM) preferred Skilled in developing responsive, evidence-based program designs, including budget development
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company of progressive program management experience in humanitarian assistance or related industry experience in a relevant technical area.Demonstrable experience designing and leading technical assessments using proven and effective methodologies; strong background in outcome monitoring and evaluation preferred
- Familiar with and abide by Red Cross/Non-Government Organization (NGO) Code of Conduct.
- Experience coordinating complex programs with wide variety of stakeholders; experience as cluster co-lead preferred.
- Programming in emergencies, including first-phase response operations; breadth of geographic experience preferred.
How to apply: