Organization: International Rescue Committee
Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Closing date: 31 Aug 2019
Reporting to the Field Director, the Health Coordinator will ensure the implementation of high quality IPC programming at IRC supported facilities. The health Coordinator is expected to spend a time all field locations, working with, training and mentoring field teams. In addition, the Health Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining regular contact with all partners, including the Ministry of Health, UN agencies and other NGOs
- Working closely with the WASH Coordinator, ensure the IRC’s EVD response activities are implemented on time ensuring high quality in accordance with technical best practice and IRC approaches.
- Closely monitor the implementation of the IRC’s health programs against agreed work plans, performance targets, and budgets to ensure that programming is on track and of high quality.
- Represent IRC at key coordination forums.
- Assist in business development by providing technical input for proposals.
- Update and develop program protocols based on the best available guidance and evidence.
- Ensure clinical management and infection prevention and control procedures are being applied strictly by clinical staff according to the protocol.
- Lead on the hiring, training and mentoring of staff.
- Support the collection and timely reporting of data and statistics for health programs in line with IRC guidelines and according to internal and donor requirements.
- In-conjunction with supply chain, and medical logistician, overall supervision of medical supply forecasting, procurement and distribution for the EVD response
- Work with the DDP and country program to develop an IRC post EVD programming strategy.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their duties.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of field teams, promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
- Provide a strong and thorough handover at the end of deployment.
NOTE: This position may enter the red zone/high risk area of an isolation unit.
Staff Supervision & Development
Directly supervise Program Managers and program team ( 50-75 people )
Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
Overall responsible for staff work plans, work and vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities
If/as required, identify staff performance issues and work with Human Resources to document and address these in accordance with the National Staff Employment Policies
Grant Planning & Implementation
- Based on assessments and strategy; draft technical proposals and budgets to enable programs required to meet the immediate needs of the affected community.
- Responsible for the overall achievement of all environmental health grants in country
- Anticipates plans and manages programmatic and structural transitions.
- Has significant budget authority to pre-approved limits and responsibility for budget development and compliance.
- Responsible for ensuring the achievement the overall grant timeline and completion date
- Provides direction and monitor staff in their implementation of the work plan and quality of technical activities,
Grant Monitoring & Reporting
- Development/ maintenance of effective and efficient oversight, support, quality control and reporting systems and processes.
- Ensure regular field monitoring and modifications as required.
- Ensure IRC and donor reports as per set schedules (monthly, quarterly and annually) on grant activities, indicators and achievements are produced in quality.
Coordination & Representation
- Develops and maintains effective coordination and long-term relationships with external stakeholders, representing IRC positions, promoting long-term strategy and resolving problems/conflicts
- Work closely and coordinates with IRC logistics, finance and grant staff to ensure timely and complaint program activities and expenditures; including active participation in grant opening/closing and review meetings
- Represents IRC in external WASH forums and is the key WASH focal point in the WASH cluster.
- Contributes to, development of country strategic direction and plans
- Leads sector specific strategy development and technical proposal design
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
The ideal candidate will be a health professional with public health training and previous EVD response experience.
- Previous experience working in infection prevention and control, with demonstrated experience in IPC personnel management, supervision and the development of SOPs/protocols.
- Experience in coordinating, implementing and managing health programs in emergency contexts.
- Strong leadership, management, planning, analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Ability to live and work in stressful and insecure environment;
- Excellent initiator, able to manage multiple tasks.
- Able to work under pressure and good at timely decision making.
- Competent in Microsoft Office, Word and Excel
- Knowledge and/or experience in conflict management, protection, or other related field;
- Excellent professional approach and strong team building skills.
- Strong coordination and representation skills and well versed in convincing and clarification of views and points.
How to apply: