Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières
Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iraq, Nigeria, Yemen
Closing date: 30 Sep 2018
To fulfill its mission of assistance to victims of conflicts, epidemics or natural disasters, MSF-Switzerland has created an emergency pool, of which members are experienced individuals capable of evaluating a situation, opening and coordinating projects. The post of emergency coordinator (medical or para-medical) reports to the Operations
Department at headquarters in Geneva, and in particular to the Emergency cell. (If a coordination team is already present in the mission however, the E-Coordinator is responsible to that team first).
The candidate is expected to 1) work in all contexts set by the emergency desk and 2) have the flexibility to work in different positions including MEDCO, Ecoordo, FieldCo, Medical Referent 3) work in emergency contexts with regular cells and fill gaps in regular projects if need be.
All countries where the emergency desk opens activities, which require an urgent response. On call, the emergency coordinator should be available within 48 hours for rapid and short interventions. He/she is part of a core group of medicals, para-medicals and support staff responsible for responding to:
· exploratory missions
· epidemic outbreaks
· nutritional crises
· displaced populations and/or refugees’ camps
· surgical emergencies
· natural disasters
· Implementation of and participation in exploratory missions and evaluations, on the request of Emergency Desk.
· Definition, implementation (or modification) of the operational strategy of an emergency intervention.
· Identification and management of the means necessary for the implementation of an emergency intervention.
· Coordination and supervision of volunteers (emergency) in the field.
· Specific Reports on the interventions.
· According to the decision taken by headquarters, the Emergency Coordinator (medical profile) can be asked to coordinate an activity, which is under the responsibility of a Head of Mission in the country where the section is already active.
· The Emergency Coordinator (medical profile) commits himself/herself to be available at any time, less than 48 hours maximum; he/she must be reachable in all circumstances.
· The Emergency Coordinator (medical profile) can be asked to intervene within the framework of certain MSF trainings and to take part in international meetings.
· The post is open to a person with a medical or para-medical profile
· Capacity to bring patient and public health at the chore of the operation strategy.
· Specific knowledge desired:
- Emergency public health
- Response to epidemics
- Emergency vaccinations
- Response to severely malnourished populations
- Method of investigation, epidemiological monitoring
- Significant experience in general coordination (profile Head of Mission, Medical Coordinator, Project
- Expertise in analyses of unstable contexts / crises situations
- Capacity to quickly evaluate an emergency situation on ground and to propose an appropriate strategy of
- General knowledge of MSF in emergency management
· Fluency in French and English is essential; knowledge of another language is an asset (Arabic, Spanish and/or
Portuguese in particular).
· Knowledge of information and communication equipment used by MSF.
· Leadership & capacity to make priorities
· Capacity of analysis of Context & program
· Capacity for coordination and organization.
· Diplomacy, broadminded spirit.
· Availability, flexibility and mobility.
· Capacity to negotiate and make decisions
· PSP training.
· Expatriates with 24 months of field experience with MSF in a coordination role, who have had at least one mission in an emergency context with MSF Switzerland. Or expatriates from other humanitarian organisations, with 24 months of field experience in emergency contexts in a coordination role, who have carried out at least one mission in an emergency context with MSF Switzerland.
· Field-based contract for one year, renewable.
· Per-diem on the field at the time of interventions
· Salary according to MSF experience
· Duration of the direct interventions on the field: from 4 weeks to 3 months (certain flexibility is asked in the event of needs).
· The compensating rest in between 2 missions (in addition to 25 days of legal holidays) will be negotiated each time of return with the emergency desk in Geneva.
How to apply:
Applications (CV and a cover letter) to be sent to:
HR Emergency Cell – Médecins Sans Frontières Suisse
78 rue de Lausanne – Case postale 116 CH-1211 Geneva 21 – Switzerland
or by e-mail: Ecell.email@example.com with the subject line – E POOL APPLICATION – ECOORDO MED
DEADLINE: 5PM 30th September 2018