Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Closing date: 18 Jun 2018
CANADEM is seeking a Registered Nurse fluent in French and English for an Ebola Response posting as an Infection Prevention and Control Mentor in Mbandaka, DRC with the International Rescue Committee.
This is an immediate deployment for 6 weeks (with a possible extension up to 3 months).
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide IPC training for health facility staff, including ongoing on-the-job mentorship.
- Conduct rounds in health facility wards and departments, discussing and monitoring infection control practices with staff.
- Develop and implement systems for improving IPC across the health facility wards and departments.
- Establish a system for EVD monitoring on inpatient wards.
- Work with health facility leadership to establish an IPC committee to plan, develop, implement and evaluate infection prevention and control within the hospitals.
- Work with the medical logistician and health facility management to develop a system for IPC supplies requesting and consumption tracking.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of field teams, promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
- Nurse or Nurse Practitioner with current registration with the recognized professional body of your country of residence.
- At least 4 years’ experience working as a Nurse in a hospital setting with demonstrated experience in infection prevention and control.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing IPC practices and systems improvement, ideally in a low resource setting.
- Previous experience working with EVD desirable.
- Previous experience working with IRC desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising a team in the strict adherence to infection control.
- Previous training or teaching experience.
- Strong leadership, management, planning, analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to live in challenging conditions and ability to work under difficult, high pressure situations.
- Must be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure in a stressful environment, displaying patience, compassion and diplomacy.
- Fluency in French and English.
How to apply:
If you have all of the above-mentioned skills, please register with CANADEM before contacting us. This can be done on our website at www.CANADEM.ca/register. Then send an email no later than the 19th of June , 11:59 pm EDT (applications will be review on a first one first serve basis) to ben.james@CANADEM.ca with a Subject Line: “IRC-Infection Prevention and Control Mentor “. In your email, please include an updated resume, date of availability, your current location, and a phone number where we can reach you.