Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Closing date: 27 May 2018
For the Cordaid Country office in Kinshasa, DR Congo, Cordaid is looking for a
Director Country Office
Since the seventies, Cordaid has provided consistent support in the Democratic Republic of Congo, in particular to local partners, organizations, specialized in the health sector such as the Diocesan Offices of Medical Works (BDOM), Caritas and NGOs in collaboration with the Congolese Government. From 2000 on, a liaison office has been established in Kinshasa to approach partners and improve their efficiency. Since then, several other offices have been set up.
Since the start of 2018, the Country Office has a 3-year strategic plan (2018-2020). The Country Program covers 5 sectors of intervention (health, security and justice, education, economic development and emergency humanitarian aid) and is implemented in 24 of the 26 provinces of the DRC, with an average annual budget of 40 million euro and 150 employees. Cordaid DRC collaborates with more than 60 implementing partner organizations across the country. Cordaid is the only Principal Recipient of the Global Fund for both HIV-AIDS and Tuberculosis. The Country Program is managed by a team that includes (among others) a Deputy Country Director (responsible for the Eastern Region), Program Director, Senior Finance Manager and Human Resources Manager.
Position and responsibility
As Country Director, you will be responsible for managing this portfolio and its staff ensuring its growth and renewal while ensuring that each program includes a contingency plan for humanitarian emergencies. You represent Cordaid in the DRC and you’ll ensure the safety of its personnel and property.
Synergy and coherence
· The Director aims at a good implementation of the main strategic lines. He (she) contributes to political debates internally, watches over the positioning as well as the harmonization of Cordaid interventions in the strategic framework in collaboration with the colleagues of our Head Office.
· Supervise and correct, as needed, the progress of the programs. Regularly adapt / update the internal Procedures and Regulations.
Finance and Acquisition
· Maintain relations with local donors including Global Fund, the Delegation of the European Community, the World Bank and others. Demonstrate and convince donors of the added value of Cordaid. Acquire new partnerships to expand current programs and / or ensure their continuity.
Representation and Communication
· Responsible for the strategic positioning of Cordaid vis-à-vis all public and private sector partners (Ministry of Health, civil and administrative authorities, donors, international NGOs and local private and faith-based NGOs).
· He/she is a natural leader and able to manage, motivate and unite team members who are dispersed in five different offices across the country.
· Analyse security risks. Ensure the safety of the Cordaid team, consultants and visitors and ensure the updating and implementation of the local safety plan, in accordance with the “Safety First” Cordaid Manual.
• 10 years of proven experience in managing health, education or social science programs, including 5 years in sub-Saharan Africa.
Specifics of station
The Director Country Office will be based at Kinshasa with regularly visits to the field sites for supervision.
The contract period is for 1 year starting as soon as possible, with the intention to extend for a longer period. We offer a Cordaid contract with a competitive salary and a benefit package which includes R&R, a comprehensive insurance cover, social security and pension contribution, a holiday allowance, 13th month, hardship allowance and cost of living allowance (if applicable).
How to apply:
Further information & how to apply
Applications including a motivation letter in French and extensive CV in English or French, including the contact details of at least three professional references, should be forwarded on attn. of mr R. van der Veen, before 27 May 2018.
An assessment might be part of the procedure.
Please note that we accept applications through our website only: https://www.cordaid.org/en/vacancies/international/?cd_job_id=100896