Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Closing date: 06 Mar 2018
Job Title Finance Coordinator
Organisation Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting mostly health projects worldwide.
Job Location Goma/ DR Congo
Closing Date Application Tuesday, March 06, 2018
Interviews are scheduled for: March 12-15, 2018
Johanniter has been active in DRC since 1995, with a focus on North Kivu since 2008.
The overall objective of Johanniter International Assistance’s Program in North Kivu, DRC, is to reduce mor-tality and morbidity by improving the health conditions and reducing vulnerability of IDPs and host population. Johanniter’s interventions aim to improve, in close cooperation with the MoH, the provision of and access to quality primary health care and to support the improved nutrition status of children under five, pregnant and lactating women and other vulnerable people (such as elderly people, people with disability, people living with HIV/AIDS, and survivors of SGBV). Furthermore, the improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene is part of Johanniter’s DRC programme.
Currently there are 8 international and 38 national employees working for Johanniter in DRC.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
Coordination of all financial processes of Johanniter project activities in DR Congo in close collaboration with the Head of Mission.
Reporting to: Head of Mission DRC (first level supervisor)
Head of Desk Africa, Berlin headquarters (next level supervisor)
Supervising: Team of national Finance Officers and Assistants
Receives technical advice from: Regional Head of Finance (Uganda)
Head of Finance, Berlin headquarters
Gives technical advice to: Team of national Finance Officers and Assistants; Base managers
Standing in for: HR & Admin Coordinator
Replaced by: HR & Admin Coordinator
- Assure Johanniter’s financial procedures are in compliance with government and donor financial ob-ligatory law and regulations
- Filing documents, allocation of expenditures, vouchers registration, balance checking
- Monthly field accounts and timely preparation of financial reports for donors and headquarters (BVAs, monthly closing, bank transfers, cash requests, travel claims) in compliance with donor and Johanniter procedures
- Management of bank accounts, money transfers and maintain good cash flow in compliance with guidelines of donors and Johanniter
- Supervision of payment orders and improvement of payment procedures
- Organising and coordination of internal or external audits and ensure relevant recommendations from audits are being implemented
- Taking measures for cost controlling in consultation with the Head of Mission
- Ensure JUH internal “Guideline on How to Deal with Cases of Corruption, Fraud and Conflict of In-terest” is in place and report immediately if any irregularity (fraud, cheating, etc.) noticed
- Set-up and maintain systematic and complete filing system for all donor and audit-relevant docu-ments (financial documents, procurement processes, etc.)
- Prepare overhead and project budgets, budget revisions and extensions in compliance with financial guidelines of donors and Johanniter
- Monitor budgets, give relevant advice concerning financial matters and inform Head of Mission, Co-ordinators and HQ desk officer regularly on financial status
- Verify and support partner organisations with financial reporting
- Assure compliance with Johanniter’s procurement procedures, government obligatory regulations and donor guidelines. Assure all supporting documents are available.
- Supervise and train the team of Finance Assistants and support staff (periodic staff appraisals, regular meetings, capacity building etc)
- Assist the Head of Mission in security management
- Represent Johanniter in relevant forums and networks
- Regularly coordinate all above mentioned aspects with the Head of Mission and the Desk Officer and Controller in Berlin
- Assist the country office team in translating guidelines and templates
- Support Head of Mission in all other tasks.
University Degree in Business Administration / Accountancy or equivalent degree OR relevant work experi-ence in similar position
- At least 3 years of experience in accounting and financial management in the field of humanitarian aid / development cooperation
- Experience in working with public donors
- Ability to write reports and procedure manuals
- Working experience in DR Congo is a plus
- Financial Management
- Proficient user of accountancy and financial software
- Excellent reporting and computer skills
- Fluency in English and French with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of German is a plus
- Cultural sensitivity and team competence
- Sense of delegation and commitment to local capacity building
Terms and Conditions
Start date: Sunday, April 01, 2018
Contract duration: definite contract for 12 months (with possible extension)
Remuneration: Between 39.727,44 € and 41.818 € annual gross salary (according to Jo-hanniter AVR-J internal tariff and depending on relevant previous working experience).
Benefits: – annual special payment (13th month salary)
- social security provisions (lump sum 375 € per month) (for expats not fall-ing under social security)
- international insurance package
- 29 days annual paid leave plus additional R&R regulations
- yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year)
- Per diems (for international postings) for days in project country (currently 56 € per day)
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
How to apply:
Contact and application
Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former supervisors as well as job certificates in case available) should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Finance Coordinator” in the subject line of email and mention your earliest date of availability.
Only complete applications will be considered.
Please be advised, that due to the urgency of the situation, we might start short-listing even before the end of the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.