Organization: Wildlife Conservation Society
Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Closing date: 31 Jan 2018
Position: Project Director, Kahuzi-Biega Landscape
Division: WCS Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) Program
Location: Bukavu, DRC
Reports to: WCS DRC Country Director
Contract duration: 1 year full-time, with possibility of renewal
Application deadline: 31st January, 2018
WCS-DRC is seeking to recruit a Project Director to oversee its conservation activities in the Kahuzi-Biega Landscape. The landscape includes the WCS core site of Kahuzi-Biega National Park and surrounding Oku community forests, as well as project activities in and around the Maiko National Park. The landscape contains the largest remaining populations of the critically endangered and endemic Grauer’s Gorilla, which is a flagship species for the project.
The purpose of this position is to manage the implementation of WCS activities in the Kahuzi-Biega Landscape.
· Manage and oversee WCS activities within and around Kahuzi-Biega National Park, Maiko National Park and Oku community forests. Projects include large-scale wildlife and socio-economic monitoring programs, support to Kahuzi-Biega National Park management, law enforcement and tourism development, creation of a new community reserve, and development of community-based conservation activities.
· Ensure close collaboration with government partners (ICCN – the national conservation agency) and local NGO partners in the development of annual work plans and budgets, evaluation of impact from planned activities and development of program strategies.
· Manage WCS’s Bukavu office as well as the WCS project team (currently 15 people from the administration, finance and technical departments)
· Manage multiple donor grants from both governmental and private donors including timely preparation of workplans and reports, implementation of high quality project deliverables, and accurate accounting of project funds.
· Fulfill the role of ‘Landscape Leader’ under the existing USAID CARPE (Central Africa Regional Program for the Environment) agreement for the Maiko-Tayna-Kahuzi-Biega Landscape (MKTB) of which WCS is the prime recipient; oversee the coordination and administration of MKTB Landscape partners, subgrantees and consultants, and supervise CARPE workplan implementation and reporting.
· Ensure good relations with the local community leaders, governmental and non-governmental partner organizations at all times
· Contribute to the development and growth of the project through new project design, strategy development and fundraising
· Support capacity building of the staff and partners
· Work closely with WCS DRC senior program and technical staff on project implementation and with WCS Central Africa regional staff for technical support as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
· Master’s degree in conservation or environmental related field
· Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience working in Africa or other developing nations on conservation/resource management projects
· Excellent written ability in English and professional working level capacity in French (Swahili an advantage)
· Fully computer literate with excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Drive or other file sharing systems
· Strong communications and presentation skills are essential, including strong technical writing skills
· Proven experience in project management and implementation (e.g. managing budgets, staff, and liaising with government), with experience in managing USAID-funded projects an advantage
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· Proven experience of writing and receiving funding/research grants in the fields of conservation biology and natural resource management.
· The candidate must be flexible and able to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines
· Applicants should be committed to conservation and to the mission of the Wildlife Conservation Society.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
Application Deadline: 31st January 2018
Please send your CV and cover letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com and mention Kahuzi Project Director in your subject header.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. If you have any queries related to this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.