Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Closing date: 05 Mar 2018
Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the nutrition projects. This involves effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, time frame and budget with a focus on nutrition system strengthening, training and coordination. Providing technical support, leadership and strategic direction, other important aspects of the role include managing and training nutrition staff to meet quality standards in nutrition delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and managing and training nutrition staff, and anticipating, planning, and contributing to the development of new nutrition project proposals and reports.
You are part of the Emergency Response Team (ERT). Medair plans to establish an emergency Nutrition Programme in Kasai, in response to emergency levels of malnutrition which have been identified. Medair plans to build capacity to respond to nutrition projects in new locations within the Kasais where GAM breaches the emergency threshold, ensuring provision of all required elements of CMAM. Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Field based position in Kasai, Democratic Republic of Congo. Take a look at Medair’s work in D.R. Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
March 2018. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Nutrition Project Management
- Manage the project(s) in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame and report promptly any operational concerns.
- Provide strong leadership, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local nutrition authorities (where applicable) and local nutrition staff.
- Contribute to development of a strategy including proactive planning for responsible exit.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for nutrition activities.
- Continuously monitor activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data, and involving the nutrition team in analysis and taking appropriate action as needed to ensure continued progress.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps and the Medair country strategy.
- Line-manage the Nutrition Managers, including day-to-day management, development, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and work plans, and give the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching & technical supervision to staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility.
- Assess the training needs of nutrition staff and ensure that appropriate training is conducted.
- Manage the nutrition budget and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the teams, with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in nutrition coordination meetings, Medair internal trainings, etc, representing Medair.
- Support the logistics activities of nutrition staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of medicines, supplies and equipment for the assigned nutrition facilities and activities.
- Liaise, as necessary, with the nutrition, health, logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Ensure that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure nutrition projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification, preferably in nutrition or in another relevant field such as nursing/midwifery/doctor/community-based training.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Management experience in a nutrition / health context.
- Knowledge and experience of nutrition / primary health care principles and management.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards guidelines and protocols.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building. Problem solving ability.
- Experience in training / coaching staff. Able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills. Able to enforce procedures.
- Committed to consultative and servant-minded leadership. Able to take the initiative in decisions.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
How to apply:
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
Then to apply, go to http://relief.medair.org/en/jobs/positions/ert-nutrition-project-manager-drc-kasai/ , then: apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.