Organization: Search for Common Ground
Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Closing date: 31 Mar 2018
We are Searchers.
We are over 600 strong worldwide. We believe in our mission to end violent conflict.
It’s our purpose- our call to action.
A Searcher understands our vision of a world where:
Differences stimulate social progress, rather than precipitate violence
Respect for and cooperation with those we disagree with is considered the norm
A Searcher is a dedicated, enthusiastic and passionate individual, committed to our values.
Shared Humanity. Empathy. Impartiality. Inclusivity. Courage. Hope. Humility. Audacity.
With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, we implement projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. You will be joining other highly motivated Searchers with a good team spirit and through commitment and dedication, have opportunities to grow.
We are searching for…
The Regional Controller (RC) will report direct line to the Chief Financial Officer and dotted line to the Regional Director and will work closely with other finance staff in Headquarters and field teams. He/she will be assigned a portfolio of countries and will oversee all aspects of financial management and compliance in those countries. He/she will supervise, on a dotted-line basis, the Country Financial Managers, who report direct-line to Country Director*s.
- The central and overriding objective of the position is as follows: For each country in his or her portfolio, to ensure that all costs incurred are eligible costs under donor awards and to ensure that all transactions are compliant with donor rules. The success of the position is measured by the degree to which ineligible costs and audit findings are kept to a minimum.
- Through review of the monthly financial reports and other methods, the RCs will insure that all costs being recorded are eligible under the terms of the grant to which they are charged. Where the RC detects potentially ineligible costs, he/she will call on the field office to make corrections and will ensure that the country team has the training, knowledge and tools to prevent recurrence.
Varying by country and circumstances, the RC will undertake some of all of the following activities, all with a view to achieving the central and overriding objectives**:***
- Capacity building & Training – Create an implement a plan to strengthen the capacities of all finance staff across the region in the core competencies necessary for effective financial planning and management. Provide training (in-person and remote) to new and existing finance staff in SFCG’s financial system, field reporting formats, compliance and documentation. Provide on-going coaching to finance staff across the region;
- Staff Training/Orientation – Assist in hiring and training of new finance managers in the region.
- Budgeting Grant & country program start-up and close Compliance – Ensure that all financial procedures, including cash management, procurement, advance settlement, salary distribution, etc. are compliant with donor and SFCG’s policies and requirements
- Support audits: Audit preparedness; oversight of corrective action plan; and conduct of internal audits for local audits, including spot compliance checks. Ensure adequate Finance Policies – Assist with the communication and implementation of new Finance and Compliance policies which are developed from HQ;
- Troubleshooting – work with country program finance managers and CDs to troubleshoot challenges as they emerge.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in working on financial and administrative aspects of public-sector donor programs, for example, those of the EU, US government, UN, World Bank
- Success in achieving sound financial performance of organizations of comparable size to the Region
- Track record, with sufficient knowledge to provide training and support on using accounting software
- Experience with operational budgeting and grants management
- Experience in designing and operating effective internal controls
- Supervisory experience
- Experience in relevant region
- Willingness to travel on a regular basis (up to 50%) and live in challenging places
- Ability to work with a diverse team, with attention to mentorship and professional development of staff
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English and French
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
How to apply:
Sound good? To apply, interested candidates should:
- Send a cover letter and current resume to our employment website here.
Include the following in your cover letter
minimum salary requirements (or current salary)
projected start date,
where you found this posting.
We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis. We are looking to fill this position with the right candidate. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work..