Organization: American Bar Association
Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Closing date: 03 Nov 2017
ABA ROLI’s operations in the Democratic Republic of Congo are its largest in Sub-Saharan Africa. Funded by several government and private donors, ABA ROLI’s operations in the DRC date back to 2008. Because of their scale and complexity, the Deputy Country Director is essential for ROLI’s successful operations.
The DCD position is a senior level position; it is second-in-command and responsible for the efficiency of the business and for securing the functionality of business operations to drive extensive and sustainable growth.
The DCD oversees and supervises the Field Financial Manager (FFM), the logistics officer, and the human resources officer, and acts as principal verifying officer. The DCD role is a key member of the senior management team in country, reporting directly to the Country Director, with a dotted line to Washington DC Operations and Finance staff.
DCD duties include but are not limited to managing, overseeing, and streamlining general operations; ensuring compliance from all staff with policies and procedures regarding finances, logistics, transportation, procurement, and security; overseeing administrative and finance staff; ensuring sound management of materials and supplies from logistics officers; and contributing to effective budgeting and financial planning procedures. DCD will also oversee coordination with sub-grantees to ensure compliance with sub-grant rules and regulations and financial reporting.
· Accountable for directing, managing, and overseeing major programs/projects within an assigned country.
· Acts on behalf of the Country Director in his/her absence within the approved delegation of authority policy.
· Actively participants in and manages work plan development with the Country director, local employees, and DC staff.
· Assists in the creation, nurturing, and expansion of working relationships with the host government, host country legal leaders, other NGOs, and similarly situated entities to bolster and enhance the opportunity of achieving/exceeding ABA and ROLI plan/program objectives.
· In consultation with the Country Director, develops, manages, organizes and conducts programing and activities to include the development and implementation of project work plans, and recruiting and managing legal volunteer specialist and workshop faculty.
· Ensures compliance with all ABA, ROLI, and grantor requirements for grant operations and maintains the accuracy and integrity of all M&E requirements.
· Maintains currency of operational and political environment within the host country and keeps senior management informed of environmental shifts that might positively/negatively impact operations.
· Provides leadership, coaching, counseling, development, and, where appropriate, applies discipline to and through assigned employees.
· Maintains oversight of the operational budgets for the location and apprised senior leaders of variances and operational challenges
· Performs other related duties as required.
· Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and at least 12 years’ experience in managing an international operation; OR
· Possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university and at least six years’ experience in managing an international operation; OR,
· Possession of a Juris Doctorate Degree from an ABA-accredited law school or foreign equivalent and at least four years’ experience managing an international operation.
· At least five (5) years international development and/or international program development experience.
· Fluency in English and French
· Master’s degree in public administration, business, finance, or related field.
· Ten years of experience in supporting implementation of peace building or related projects in Sub-Saharan Africa, including financial management, program administration, operations management, and implementation and/or program design.
· The individual should be detail oriented, well organized, and able to work under pressure and tight deadlines when necessary.
· Experience in data analysis and monitoring and evaluation is highly preferred.
· Strong writing and communication skills and competence with computer applications required. A high level of personal energy, positive
How to apply:
To apply, please visit: https://www.recruitingcenter.net/Clients/abanet/PublicJobs/controller.cfm?jbaction=JobProfile&job_id=11978
*Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.* References will be collected only for interviewed candidates. Salary and benefit details will only be discussed with candidates selected for interviews. z