Organization: Population Services International
Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Closing date: 31 Aug 2017
Title: Operations Manager, DRC
Based in Democratic Republic of Congo
Up to 25% international travel
Reports to the Country Representative, DRC
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a motivated group of entrepreneurs and professionals with a diverse range of backgrounds all the way from the medical industry to the music business, all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI seeks dynamic candidates for the position of Operations Manager for the Association de Santé Familiale (ASF), the PSI platform in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). This position is based in Kinshasa and will report to the Country Representative (CR). ASF is a large and complex platform implementing social marketing and behavior change communications programs in HIV/AIDS prevention, malaria prevention and control, family planning and safe water. This position is part of the ASF senior management team and is responsible for several key departments. The PSI platform in DRC has a staff of 200, and is headquartered in Kinshasa with 10 provincial offices and an annual budget of $60 million. The current donor portfolio for the platform includes: USAID, DOD, DFID, the Lundin Foundation, and The Global Fund.
The Operations Manager is directly responsible for managing the procurement, logistics, warehouse, supply chain of health commodities and security departments of the ASF platform. The Operations Manager must be able to manage with strategic direction and strengthen and build local capacity in these areas. Capacity building efforts will focus on strengthening the ability of ASF’s Operations team to develop, implement and manage cost effective and efficient policies and practices, with particular attention to rigorous internal control systems and procedures. Additionally, the Operations Manager is expected to provide strategic advice to the Country Representative for the overall platform management.
Sound like you? Read on.
Procurement and supply chain (60%)
The Operations Manager is responsible for overseeing the procurement function of the ASF platform in compliance with international donor and headquarters standards. These duties include but are not limited to:
- Directly supervise the Deputy Director of Procurement &Logistics, Identify and address existing operational and managerial gaps in procurement & logistics (including vehicles) and security management;
- Oversee the procurement of commodities, packing material, equipment, and other items in compliance with international donor and organizational regulations;
- In collaboration with program staff, manage all international related procurement in coordination with PSI’s Procurement Department in Washington, DC;
- Ensure the quality control of monthly inventory tracking reports and all other operational department reports for internal and external circulation;
- Minimize fraud via active monitoring and close coordination with internal and external audits;
- Play an integral role in the continuous development and improvement of internal control systems applying to procurement and logistics to ensure compliance with PSI and donor regulations;
- Provide mentoring for the platform’s Procurement team to ensure compliance with PSI policies, and international donor regulations;
Warehouse, Logistics and Security (40%)
- Oversee work performed by logistics and warehousing teams
- Directly supervise Security manager and ensure effective implementation of security plan in a fragile, unpredictable and high risk security environment
- Identify and address existing operational and managerial gaps in the areas of, warehouse, , logistics (including vehicles) and security management;
- Work closely with the CR to review existing operational systems and improve the overall speed and efficiency of the warehousing, logistics and security functions;
- Ensure contractual compliance with PSI and international donor regulations;
- In collaboration with senior coordinators, develop and manage all operation departments’ annual budgets and workplans;
- Manage administrative and operational compliance aspects of subawards and subcontracts;
- Strengthen current operational policies and procedures and develop the communication and roll-out strategy to disseminate new organizational policies and procedures;
- Manage ASF’s assets including the motor pool
- Manage PSI warehouses, including stock management and staff compliance to supply chain management procedures
Assist the Country Representative with other duties as necessary.
What are we looking for?
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field (MBA Preferred)
- 6+ years of management experience overseeing multiple functions and/or office operations; ideally in a business development capacity
- Minimum of 5 + years relevant experience in similar-sized organization
- Minimum three years developing country work experience
- 3+ years management experience, preferably in a developing country context
- Proficiency in English and French is required
- Experience managing procurement functions in large, integrated programs. Substantive knowledge of USAID, DfID and Global Fund procurement regulations
- Experience with operational and financial management of large donor funded programs
- Experience with managing security issues in a fragile, unpredictable and high risk security environment
- Excellent diplomatic, presentation, interpersonal and oral/written communication skills
Successful candidates will have experience in the operational areas of international procurement and administrative management. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in project management, development of business policies and practices and financial management.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
How to apply: