Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Closing date: 01 May 2017
United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DFID) wants to empower the private sector to be an engine of growth and job creation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) so that it increases economic opportunities for poor people. Its private sector development (PSD) strategy in DRC is built on three pillars: improving access to financial services, addressing market failures in a range of sectors, and creating an enabling business environment. DFID has engaged PwC to manage the five year, £35 million Essor programme which will, on an as-needed and adaptive basis, design and implement interventions to improve the business climate. The portfolio currently includes the following seven worsktreams:
- Construction Permits;
- MSME RGA;
- Access to Finance;
- Access to Electricity;
- Agricultural Value Chains.
We are looking for a full time international consultant to fill the role of Communications Lead on Essor, directly reporting to the Programme’s Technical Lead.
The primary responsibilities of the consultant include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement a Communication Strategy for Essor to include awareness raising and promotion across all stakeholder groups of Essor workstreams and its activities;
- Responsible for overall communications of the program, ensuring strategic coordination among various efforts and consistency in messaging;
- Oversees all forms of outreach (internal and external), communications, and promotion;
- Stakeholder identification, mapping, & grouping;
- Develop targeted communications messages for stakeholder groups;
- Coordinate Stakeholder engagement with ELAN;
- Support building and maintaining relationships with key Essor’s stakeholders;
- Assist workstreams to effectively consult and engage stakeholders on relevant projects through developing effective messaging packages;
- Plan promotional stakeholder forums, meetings and special events;
- Assist M&E function to assess stakeholder satisfaction, including developing and implementing strategies for continually improving stakeholder satisfaction across the programme;
- Develop program briefings for all levels, memoranda, reports and dashboards.
Profile of the successful candidate:
- Master’s or advanced graduate degree in communications, journalism or relatedfield;
- Minimum of 10 years experience in managing and delivering communications for large-scale government programs in a development context, preferably in the DRC (Experience in Business Environment Reform will be an advantage);
- Experience in developing and maintaining stakeholder networks in public,private and development sectors;
- Highly developed influencing and relationship management skills;
- Ability to facilitate high level meetings and events, public or private, with stakeholders from governments the private sector, donors,civil society and community representatives;
- Demonstrated experience in supporting and creating a wide array of public media including, but not limited to: press releases, marketing videos, print media, graphic design, and social media;
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills and be able to articulate thoughts and ideas to others;
- Bilingual French-English;
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and an ability to work well under pressure are required;
- Experience working with teams and leadership skills are required;
- Prior experience with UKAID is highly desirable.
How to apply:
Please submit a CV (maximum two pages) and a short covering letter explaining why you are right for this role to the below address. Please use the reference “ESS005 – Communications Lead – Essor” in the subject line:
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Start Date: May 2017; specific date to be agreed with the successful candidate.