Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Closing date: 10 Mar 2017
Finance Manager will provide financial and administrative management for an upcoming UNITAID project aimed to scale up an innovative, community-based approach to expand coverage of intermittent preventive treatment in pregnancy (IPTp) for pregnant women in Democratic Republic of the Congo. The Finance Manager will oversee all financial, contractual, information technology, human resources, and procurement activities. The Finance Manager will also supervise the Financial Officer. The project will operate over a five-year period.
This position is contingent upon award from UNITAID. Congolese nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Ensures accurate financial, contractual and administrative reporting of the project compliant with Jhpiego and UNITAID rules and regulations
- Oversees day-to-day coordination of financial activities ensuring cost consciousness and efficient spending
- Maintains an on-site financial accounting and bookkeeping system required to assure the integrity and effective performance of financial operations.
- Ensures that proper human resources and administrative procedures are in place for project
- Manages project’s day-to-day cash needs, travel requests, payments, procurement, contracts, grants and processing invoices, district office start-up, operation systems, policies and procedures, consultant, and travel and logistics
- Contribute capacity building of district and community to manage, report, and order essential commodities and supplies
- Contribute to capacity building of district health management teams to plan, execute and routinely monitor annual budgets for priority health services
- Provide guidance to Program Manager regarding the financial requirements of the project and office operations.
- Determine updated monthly project accruals and projections to support forecasting accuracy and project completion, as required.
- Provide guidance, monitoring and support to project team, including procurement for goods and services, logistical support for local and international travel for staff and consultants, financial oversight of local sub-grantees (as needed) and maintenance of office inventory
- Provide guidance and support for contracts development and management
- Provide financial capacity-building for local grantees
- Maintain and administer project financial accounting system.
- Prepare the monthly financial report by using adapted finance software (QuickBooks).
- Use various software applications such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphic packages to assemble, manipulate, and format data and/or reports.
- Implement and oversee a detailed financial reporting and reimbursement process in accordance with Jhpiego’s established financial system.
- Make in-country budget adjustments and other cost improvement measures, as required.
- Direct and oversee the monitoring and annual auditing of cost-share requirements, tracking and reporting.
- Work collaboratively with the project team and headquarters staff to ensure proper project and financial reporting, spending and compliance with project terms and conditions.
- Provide financial reports, including pipeline analysis, quarterly project reports, or as requested by the donor.
- Ensure that UNITAID resources are appropriately directed to program priorities and are in line with program work plans.
- Contribute to project team in developing work plans and annual budgets for program activities and local office costs.
- Manage all sub-grants to local grantees ensuring sub-awardees’ compliance and reporting
- Work closely with auditors during audit of the project.
- Prepare accurate budgets, track expenses, ensure that required financial controls and cost-performance monitoring mechanisms are in place and adhered to, prevent over or under expenditure of budgets, ensure proper safeguards of funds and ensure compliance with established UNITAID and headquarters’ financial, accounting and administrative procedures
- Review, reconcile and monitor all project accounts, including major program operating accounts and petty cash operations involving cash advances
- Determine updated monthly project accruals and projections to support forecasting accuracy and program completion, as required
- Serve as a resource person for non-finance staff on UNITAID, JHU and Jhpiego rules and policy.
- Mentor, support, supervise and manage the Finance Officer and align financial team in concert with project goals to ensure accurate reporting and financial support.
- Ensure that proper human resources administration procedures are in place for project staff, including tracking of leave, sick days, absence and other human resources actions.
- Ensure compliance by all assigned staff to the JHU and Jhpiego timekeeping requirements, as well as, the staff’s timely approval of timesheets.
- Ensure that Jhpiego personnell files for project staff have all the relevant records including employment agreement and job description.
- Advanced Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Accounting with 10+ years’ experience or BA and 12+ years’ experience
- 7+ years of experience with financial analysis, financial reporting, cash flow analysis, budget development and forecasting, preferably on international health projects.
- 7+ years working in international health in developing countries and in Democratic Republic of the Congo with emphasis in financial planning and management, human resources and procurement for international health programs covering at least two of the following technical areas: health system strengthening, strengthening service delivery projects, training, performance and quality improvement, monitoring and evaluation
- Relevant experience living and working oversees, including supporting implementation of national/provincial/regional/district-level programs
- 7 years of senior-level work experience with donors
- Previous direct supervisory experience of professional and support staff
- Familiarity with UNITAID policies and administrative procedures preferred
- Demonstrated experience organizing resources and establishing priorities
- Sub-contract and sub-agreement financial management experience
- Understanding of the difference between contracts and cooperative agreements and their relevant terms and conditions
- Experience developing finance and accounting policies, procedures and systems
- Effective communicator and can explain the organization’s direction and motivate others with strong, honest leadership
- Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports
- Problem solving skills and excellent general management skills particularly in facilitation, team building and coordination
- Comfortable with a team approach to management and the ability to manage several major activities simultaneously
- Demonstrated leadership and management style that works in cooperation with others who represent a wide range of interests and needs
- Experience with international, non-profit organizations
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills in French and English
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated programming, management and technical skills
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity of project financial team members.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple projects/tasks, short deadlines, competing deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Ability to interact with all levels of professional staff
- Awareness of, sensitivity to, and experience in working in multiple socio-economic settings and with multi-cultural staff and groups
- Ability to develop productive working relationships with counterparts at headquarter and other field offices
- In depth knowledge financial software applications, databases and spreadsheets, including Microsoft Office packages, QuickBooks Enterprise, and others.
- Ability to travel nationally
How to apply:
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Please apply at: https://jobs-jhpiego.icims.com/jobs/2783/finance-manager/job
Applicants must submit a single document for upload to include: cover letter, resume, references, and salary history.
For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
Jhpiego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer